Supporting employees’ health and safety entails managing the risks employees face at the workplace. For the employer, this means providing strong leadership as well as ensuring everyone’s health and safety, including workers, contractors, suppliers, and customers.
Why Is Workplace Health And Safety Important?
- As an employer, you have a moral responsibility to ensure your employees get home safe at the end of the day and remain healthy as they work for you.
- Ensuring the workplace is safe and healthy can reduce absenteeism and improve productivity and efficiency.
- Employers also have certain legal obligations regarding health and safety. Failing to comply with safety and health regulations can lead to prosecution and fines.
- Customers increasingly prefer receiving services and products made by ethical businesses – so encourage purposeful and human friendly work practices and those of all your partners across the supply chain. Consider only working with ethical suppliers that prioritize their employees’ safety and health.
- To attract the right partnerships and investors, show that you are committed to corporate social responsibility and sustainability, which includes the protection of workers.
- Many job seekers, especially Generation Z and Millennials, want to work for enterprises that uphold their values. Therefore, embrace the best sustainability and corporate responsibility practices to attract and retain the best talent.
- Having a great safety and health record can give you a competitive edge, enhancing your brand and reputation. Conversely, poor safety and health records can directly impact your profitability and even lead to shutdowns.
- Good safety and health practices provide long-term benefits to your business and the community. For instance, they can help reduce the disease burden on your local health institutions.
How to Improve Safety and Health at the Workplace
- Get the necessary information about risk management from credible sources such as like-minded human resources and employee benefit organizations.
- Provide leadership. Your employees are more likely willing to actively participate in your health and safety programs if the senior managers clearly prioritizes health and safety at the workplace.
- Boost safety and health competence at the workplace by providing training courses that meet your employees’ needs at all levels.
- Ensure that your workers are part of the risk assessment. Involving your workers will ensure they take more responsibility for their safety and health.
- Implement a safety and health program in your business. This includes putting in place an overall policy outlining your commitment, the responsibilities allocated to each individual in your enterprise, as well as how you will manage health and safety issues.
How Genesis Performance Can Help
You can also enhance safety and health at your workplace by working with our health and productivity experts at Genesis Performance. Our role is to ensure that every individual in your organization remains healthy and performs optimally in their position. Contact us today to learn more.